New to art quilting

This post has 18 Replies | 4 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 224
ckquilter wrote
on 6 Nov 2011 5:54 PM

hi dd

you are gonna have a lot of fun during your journey as an art quilter ! 

you already have a lot of inspiration - sometimes the hardest part is just deciding what to work on. sooooooooo many choices.

i love doing landscapes - they are a reminder of some of the wonderful places i have been able to visit. i do several different styles :                                             i have a series i call spirit scapes - they are large, usually 70 to 80 inches; they are usually from a picture, or several pictures of the area.  but they always include an animal spirit as part of the scene. they are curve pieced, with minimal embellishent.

another series i did, olympic impressions, were all from one trip down the washington coast. they are small, 30 to 40 inches, witha bit more texture and dimension than the spirit scapes.

i am working on one right now, small, just 20 to 30 inches per side, but it has more dimension to it, and will have more embellishment. it is not from a specific picture - rather the memory (impression) of the land. is is called meadows in the sky - it is a park in the canadian rockies - and it is beautiful.  the sky is one of my hand painted fabrics. several of the fabrics used have been textured. i am using a fringe foot on the sewing machine to make long grass.    i plan on making some dimensional, large scale indian paintbrush flowers in the foreground.  we saw lots of them during our trip.  so some good memories are getting turned into a personally meaningful little quilt.

there are lots of other styles of landscape quilts being done - and would be easy to start with one of them. or, design your own !!

you can even combine several pictures into one quilt. make several small blocks from pictures of a trip - and then collage them together to make a large wallhanging souvenir.

another suggestion - don't  work on just one !!                 i always have at least a half dozen in progress. from large to small. i am always working on a pattern for the next one in the loop.  i always have one being quilted or waiting to be quilted. i always have one being pieced or appliqued or in the quilt top process.   there is usually something waiting for a sleeve, label or binding - my handwork, that is portable and i take with me when i know i have some waiting time.              and i usually have several waiting for embellishing.     so if i'm home, i try and work on the sewing machine, or a pattern.       if i'm heading to a sewing group, i will take one of the quilts waiting for handwork or beading.    the other benefit to working on more than one at a time - sometimes i get stuck.maybe  i don't have the right fabric or thread (i have a small one right now waiting for the threadwork embellishment because i used up the color i need on a different quilt. and yenmet thread is a bit of a drive for me. ) and rather than use the wrong one, i will set it aside until i can get the correct one. but i sure don't want to not be sewing !!!  so i have to have something else to work on until i can get the right supplies.  it makes my time more productive.             sometimes i need to set  a project aside for awhile until i figure out the next step - either learn a new method or think through the design process.

but    START !!!!      we will love seeing what you do.  it is always exciting to see original creations. it does not have to be big. and you can learn methods as you work on it.                                  and remember, if you get stuck, this forum is a great place to ask for help with working out a design idea or figuring out a new method.                                                             ckquilter                      

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
Riverlovr wrote
on 6 Nov 2011 5:54 PM

Hi,

I'm an infrequent visitor to this forum and wish I had time to stop in more often.  I added some comments to another thread today (and hope they were helpful!).  What I'd like to say to earthangel is this:  PLAY!  

I've been doing art quilts for a number of years and the most important thing I've learned is to take the time to play, experiment, practice, and play some more.  Don't expect each project to be a masterpiece and don't feel as if everything you do has to have a purpose (i.e. a gift, a piece to enter into a contest or challenge, etc.)  There's so much to learn, and if you're too focused on the outcome, you may miss out on the opportunity to experiment and try different methods, be open to various possibilities, and discover which techniques and methods you truly love to do.

It sounds like you got an idea of the wealth of possibilities in art quilting after reading ckquilter's reply.  Her ideas and suggestions were just the tip of the iceberg! 

And that's the other thing I wanted to comment on -- this forum seems to be very supportive and encouraging in nature.  People are freely sharing their time and experience with each other.  ckquilter sounds like a true teacher and really puts time and thought into her posts.  She really should be teaching, if she's not already!

As for me, it's back to the sewing machine for the rest of the afternoon!

Joanna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 224
ckquilter wrote
on 7 Nov 2011 2:27 AM

hi earthanjel and riverlovr

another excellent suggestion - and one we all need to remember. riverlovr is absolutely right - we need to remember it is about the journey - and not the destination (although eventually having some nicely completed projects feels really good too !!)           ckquilter

Not Ranked
Posts 3
scarlettm01 wrote
on 9 Nov 2011 3:30 AM

Hi everyone! I'm new to quilting

Scarlett Michael

Financial Advisor 

Group Benefits

Page 2 of 2 (19 items) < Previous  1 2 | RSS