Not Ranked
Posts 3
sewdeb1 wrote
on 20 Dec 2011 1:43 PM

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 37
CarolineA wrote
on 24 Dec 2011 5:29 AM

This is lovely! Is it painted, pieced or a bit of both? I could give this a loving home no problems! Photos never do justice to pieces like this. I like your choice of colours and shadows and you have avoided making the reflection too cluttered. 10/10 from me!

Not Ranked
Posts 6
on 31 Dec 2011 2:28 PM

This so beautiful  and real image like. I see you have a nice eye for  nature. I am always in awe of what artist can do with their eyes , hands and heart. Hope to see more of your work.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 219
ckquilter wrote
on 1 Jan 2012 8:14 PM

hi sewdeb

gorgeous pieceof art.

i love the soft, muted colors - but the big tree on the right is too dark for me - when it is that big. it pulls hard on the eyes, when i want to be able to look around the rest of the space. the branches on it are good - although darker in color, they are lighter in weight and not distracting. if i wanted to keep that tree as a focal point, and thus keep it that dark, i would have moved the right side in; so that only  small strip of the trunk , and those pretty branches still showed. (if i just hold a pieceof paper up to the right edge, and move it in so that it covers part of the dark tree - i can see right where it becomes most appealing to me - and that is where there is just a narrow strip of the trunk still showing)

if you ignore the dark tree, the rest of the design moves your eye around easily - which i love. lots of detail and interesting things to look at - just like in a real forest.

the large tree on the left makes a nice frame; and the 2 large trees in front really help push the other trees in to the distance - very effective.

i might have made the large tree on the left a bit darker - it is closer, but not nearly as dark as the one on the right. maybe even just making the brown streaks darker, or just the blue streaks darker - so that it is not quite as light as the trees in the distance.

i might also have added more foliage at the base of the dark tree -it would help reduce that tree's impact; and reduce the heavy feeling it has. or how about adding some sage/grey green moss to it - again to reduce the heavy feel.

my computer does not give me enough detail to be able to tell what kind of critter is by the water. but i love that it is not immediately obvious - and that it is a  reward for looking closely - an effect which i love in both quilts and other artworks.

the other nitpicky detail i would alter, just a bit, is the bushes behind the tres on the far shore. they are kinda ined up like soldiers right now  with the bushes carefully tucked behind them. i would prefer at least a few twigs or branches to extend in front of the trees - making it more natural looking.           the other thing that does not feel quite right - all those bushes behind the far trees are the same height; again lining up like soldiers and not the right feel. they should vary in height.

your water is wonderful - all the reflections and ripples add great interest and movement to the picture. as does the far background.

a wonderful work - great colors- great interest- great movement -    i would love to see more like it !!!!                   ckquilter

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 274
Dale Kathryn wrote
on 2 Jan 2012 12:10 AM

Your water and reflections are wonderful. I agree with CK quilter that the tree on the right is a bit overwhelming, but overall, I think this is just gorgeous.

TADA / BC

"To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage." - Georgia O'Keeffe

Not Ranked
Posts 3
sewdeb1 wrote
on 4 Jan 2012 9:52 PM

I found this totally unusually fabric but had no idea what to do with it. I spent a really long time just staring at it and trying to picture something. I kept seeing the sun coming up and a definite pond and reflections. I added some watercolor paints and lots of threadwork. Wish you could see it close, the pictures just don't show everything.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 274
Dale Kathryn wrote
on 4 Jan 2012 10:53 PM

I think it shows more than you realize, sewdeb1! It is a lovely piece of art.

TADA / BC

"To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage." - Georgia O'Keeffe

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 96
RUEdOAK wrote
on 31 Jan 2012 7:51 PM

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity about the materials and how you approached this. So it began with an unusual fabric! Did you paint in the darker areas of the reflection? It is a truly lovely piece, with good balance of forms, movement and focus.

Jen

Not Ranked
Posts 1
crazylegs wrote
on 4 Feb 2012 9:05 PM

Very nice. The dark tree on the right seems dark and one dimensional. Could it be softened a bit with a little color/texture? This is a lovely piece and I really like the depth to the background.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 43
on 12 Feb 2012 6:12 AM

Hi!

I was amazed by the water effects! Great piece!

I love nature quilts.

Congratulations! You are really an artist.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 10
on 7 Apr 2012 5:53 AM

You work is just beautiful, I love the reflections and the light appearing to come through the trees.  The tree to the right is a bit dark, but possible a silver metalic broken lines could be added to show the bark lightness, if that makes sense. 

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS