hand sewing quilts pdf files

This post has 2 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Karen2055 wrote
on 7 Jan 2012 7:28 AM

i have been looking at different choices in quilting as the way i have always done it is with cardboard templates which i cover with fabric, hand stitch together then remove the template, it is something i learnt as i went along and i would like to improve my technique and the correct way to do it as mine does not always look good enough. when i tried to download a free ebook my computer wont let me open the pdf file - well it opens but looks like wordpad, i do have adobe on my pc.

can anyone help?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 889
Muppin wrote
on 9 Jan 2012 10:15 AM

I would try redownloading the file and make sure that you are downloading it as a .PDF.  You also may need to update tot he latest free version of Adobe Reader.

And I think whatever wya you feel comfortable doing your quilting is the best way!  There's no real wrong way to do it as along as you are happy!

Cheryl/Muppin

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 219
ckquilter wrote
on 11 Jan 2012 7:50 PM

hi karen

i can't help with the computer problem  - but maybe muppin already helped with that ?

but i am sure there are some quilters out there who can help with the sewing part !

the method you describe sounds like preparing applique pieces ? or english paper piecing?

do you do other types of quilts? pieced?  or mostly applique?

one thing, from your description - you say you cover a piece of cardboard with the fabric. you need to cut the paper accurately - if you want your fabric pieces to be accurate. also - how thick is your cardboard? the thicker it is, the more wiggle room your seam allowance has, and the less accurate your piecing will be. you need to make the template as thin as possible.   have you tried using freezer paper - it is very thin, and comes with the advantage of being able to press it to the fabric to hold it in position while working - but still be able to remove it easily when done with the sewing.

if you answer back, we can give you more ideas.                                     ckquilter

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS