I need an easily removed design wall

This post has 15 Replies | 10 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 274
Dale Kathryn wrote
on 24 Feb 2012 8:26 PM

My studio/artsy-quilty room, which I share with two electrical panels, is being renovated/redecorated. The electrical panels are just as ugly as any other electrical panel - except there are two - about 16 inches apart. I would dearly love to move them to my husband's man-cave, but that is not possible. I understand that it is somewhat illegal to cover them up with anything permanent. I was thinking of some sort of bracket with an easily-removed dowel to hang above them, with a nice large piece of batting to stick things on. 

Does anyone have a cunningly brilliant suggestion? 

TADA / BC

"To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage." - Georgia O'Keeffe

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Cyn5 wrote
on 26 Feb 2012 3:13 AM

Hi,

I move my design wall regularly to flip it over to the other side or to move it out of the way.  I used a 4x8 sheet of foam insulation (from Lowe's).  Wrapped it in batting and then covered it with flannel on both sides .  I punched two holes at the top edge and installed metal grommets for strength and durability so I can use s-hooks to hang it.  I hang it from wire shelving but a rod mounted on the wall would also work.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 274
Dale Kathryn wrote
on 26 Feb 2012 10:37 AM

That's the method I was told about years ago, but forgot! Thanks so much, Cyn5.

TADA / BC

"To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage." - Georgia O'Keeffe

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Darlene J2 wrote
on 3 Mar 2012 6:19 PM

Love that insulation from Lowes but mine is on sliders like you closet doors are on.

that way you can have more than one project at a time or one big project,

Easy to install 

Good Luck

Keep that quartrinch

Not Ranked
Posts 1
lsteller wrote
on 5 Mar 2012 4:10 PM

Check with your local schools to see if they are disposing of any old projection screens or pull-down maps.  I have an old projections screen, to which I applied flannel fabric (with spray glue).  When I don't need it, it rolls up out of the way!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
redwat wrote
on 5 Mar 2012 5:04 PM

If you dont want to put holes in the wall, the heavy duty hook and loop works well, I just use a dollar store flannel back plastic table cloth and you can velcro it to the electric panels if you want. Hope your reno goes well. Wendy ,https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/SugarTownDesigns-by-Wendy-Crooks/196096063739622

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
DianneR wrote
on 5 Mar 2012 6:50 PM

A set of sliding doors suspended very close to the wall that the panels are on would cover them but not permanently. You could add a layer of cork to the doors or cover them in flannel. As a matter of fact you could source larger panels, enough to cover the entire wall. Place them about 10 or 12 inches out from the wall then have shelving installed behind them for fabric storage. The electrical panels remain accessible but out of sight and you have both fabric storage and design walls all in one.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
antnanc wrote
on 5 Mar 2012 6:57 PM

I used a two yard piece of synthetic felt to make a design wall in my family room.  I buy the felt at my local discount fabric store for under $10.00.   I attached it to the wall with push-pins on three sides.   When it gets dirty, I turn it over.   This is plenty big enough for a queen size quilt.   I just replaced  the one I used for more than 5 years.  The last one was white, the new one is gray.  I think I like the gray better.  

Not Ranked
Posts 1
theclam wrote
on 5 Mar 2012 7:34 PM

I use one of these: http://www.cherylannsdesignwall.com/

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Tairyland wrote
on 6 Mar 2012 8:20 AM

excellent post!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on 10 Mar 2012 10:19 AM

I use foam core board covered in batting and then flannel.  The foam core is so light that I can hang it on the wall with picture hangers, and you can pin into it without ruining the pins.  I have a large (6' x 8') one in my sewing room now (you have to "piece" the foam core to get it that size) but I think when it is time to replace it I  will make it in three pieces and hang them side by side.  I purchased the foam core at Staples and I have also seen it at Michaels Craft Store.  Foam core is easily cut with an exacto knife or box cutter.  Enjoy your new design wall(s) !!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
MAKkuehl wrote
on 21 Mar 2012 4:23 PM

Since my electrical box is in the entry hallway, I cover it with a painted canvas art screen - and no one but me knows it is there!!!  And if you need the electrical box, you just lift it off -

I too have tried using the design wall with a dowel and flannel - but my cats think it is their private climbing wall!!!  If they don't knock it down, half the pieces go flying -   Plus, it isn't esthetically pleasing to my eye -

However, this week I went to the Container Store and found the best remedy for designing my small art quilts - Magnetic bulletin boards - they come in various sizes, and since they have a hollow back (like a canvas frame), you can hang them with a small eye hook (two if you are in earthquake country - to keep them level).  I bought 5 different sizes and plan to "wrap" them with the background fabric, and then use teeny magnets to hold them in place - the magnets are really powerful, so the cat can't yank them off -   when not in use, I plan on putting up a finished quilt or other artworks to keep it looking neat and tidy. 

If you wanted to make a custom size, it wouldn't be too hard - attach a piece of thin metal to a wooden frame with metal screws, cover with fabric and get teeny magnets - then you can lift it on and off the eye hooks if when you need access -

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 166
on 22 Mar 2012 10:15 AM

I folded the cardboard that come over a new storm door and covered it with flannel - I have 3 now from the 3 new doors.  Two are floaters, they sit on the sewing table leaning against the wall.  The third I attached to the wall with Command picture hanging velcro art hangers.  I don't work big so the 36"x 45" size works well for me.

Kathleen

gallery

Not Ranked
Posts 9
on 22 Mar 2012 2:48 PM

I would love to see a photo of this method!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
MAKkuehl wrote
on 22 Mar 2012 3:21 PM

Which method - lol

Here is the link to The Container Store, where I purchased them - it's the main page with all the different shapes and sizes of magnetic bulletin boards -

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/office/messageBoards/magnetic?N=64178

Since I was at the store, I tried all of them out and then purchased the stainless steel, cause the magnets work SO much better on them - you don't NEED to wrap them in fabric, but, when I lay out my designs, I like to have a nuetral as the backdrop - I also got the stainless steel strips, so I have a place for all my sticky notes, etc -

The link below shows similar but not the same, mine has circular hole mesh pattern so you can use push pins or magnets

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/office/messageBoards/magnetic?productId=10027276&N=64178  

Enjoy!!! 

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS