Overwhelmed by options!

This post has 4 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 5
tracynz wrote
on 18 Mar 2012 1:04 AM

Hi all

I am pretty new to the world of Art Quilting and have been reading lots and experimenting a bit. But I  feel a bit overwhelmed with the sheer number of options and ideas and feel like i'm not quite sure where to start! Does anybody have any tips or hints for finding a bit of a focus?? Would love to have some suggestions...thanks Tracy

Not Ranked
Posts 2
sekhmet wrote
on 18 Mar 2012 3:41 AM

Tracy,

I know how you are feeling. I moved from traditional patchwork to art quitling gradually over the last few years. The thing I found most helpful was a year of journal quilts. I made one every month for a year using a different technique that appealed to me. Some worked and some didn't - it helped me to find the techniques that I find most creative. I am now working to master these techniques on a larger scale. The danger of having so much out there is that you never settle down and let one/two techniques grow to maturity. What ever you do have fun! Broncy

Not Ranked
Posts 5
tracynz wrote
on 18 Mar 2012 11:43 PM

Thanks Broncy, I'm glad I'm not alone! I have been thinking about some type of monthly challenge for my self and your idea of journal quilts is a good one. I have been doing a bit of random journalling so maybe I'll give that a go!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 890
Muppin wrote
on 19 Mar 2012 8:48 AM

We are having a challenge on this forum this month too!  Feel free to join us!
Cheryl/ Muppin

Not Ranked
Posts 9
on 19 Mar 2012 10:55 AM

My suggestion is to pick one technique that you've literally never tried before that sounds like it will be amazing, and combine it with a technique you're really familiar with. This method of combining something new with something you could do in your sleep helps insure that even if your efforts with the new technique look a little hesitant or unsure, the overall effect should be very cool looking.

For example, do some crayon rubbings on random pieces of solid tone fabric (you can do rubbings from basically anything... coffee sleeves for instance!).  Make a fair amount of textured fabric using this technique, then just cut your fabric up and piece it together using any piecing technique you're already comfortable with. 

At least this will get you started with a base - you may end up with something you love right away, or, if you want to keep adding detail but don't want to start with a new technique, you can switch from doing rubbings to drawing with crayons, and use the structure of the blocks you've created to help you figure out what to draw.  I love using crayons on fabric because it's super immediate and gives a surprisingly rich and sophisticated look to your work.  If you're not super comfortable with drawing freehand on fabric, start with pale fabric, iron it onto freezer paper and place it over a very high-contrast image - you should be able to see a high contrast image through pale fabric without having to own a light box. 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS