need help finding tools that are easy on arthritis

This post has 6 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 4
stmannell wrote
on 28 Jul 2012 7:31 AM

I think I have develop rheumatoid arthritis in a very short time.  I"m in my late 40's and just discovered quilting a year ago.  Ah, the irony, eh?

Using a rotary cutter is pretty much out of the question using my current model.  Does anyone have a suggestion of a brand that I can use that will ease up on my wrist pain?  So far that seems to be the only issue.  (so far).

Many thanks, and glad to be a part of this community!

Sue

Harrow, Ontario

Canada

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on 29 Jul 2012 5:46 AM

There are several ergonomic rotary cutters on the market that work beautifully with carpal tunnel and arthritis. Search your better fabric stores. I think mine is a Martelli model.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
SuzanneD@19 wrote
on 31 Jul 2012 1:21 PM

Quilting can be pain free with RA.  Inflammation is making your joints tender.  I hope you can soon find a rheumatologist who can help you reduce it.  I have had it for 8 years and at 63, I'm quilting almost daily.

I'm not sure if tools exist that are comfortable for arthritics.  How we adapt is key.  I favor my hands in every activity by cutting small amounts at a time, carrying small amounts at a time, toting most things in quilted bags w/shoulder straps, and easing up any time pushing or pulling is uncomfortable.  Rotary cutters can be tiring, so I find that taking breaks is helpful.  Changing the needle on my sewing machine used to be torture.  I now have a pair of vice grips that I keep by my machine for that task.  Seriously.

Quilting offers so many opportunities for artistic expression.  I hope you can continue to explore and create.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 890
Muppin wrote
on 2 Aug 2012 12:23 PM

As someone who injured my finger by quilting by repetitive motion, this is timely!  I spoke with my Physical Therapist who is recommending looking at how I sew and using braces and other methods to improve my hand "posture".

You might want to ask a therapist for their advice.

Cheryl / Muppin

Not Ranked
Posts 4
stmannell wrote
on 2 Aug 2012 7:07 PM

Thank you Cheryl for that advice.  I do not have a therapist as of yet but will keep that in mind.  I have been looking online for arthritis "gadgets" and have found a few suggestions for things I never thought of.

SUe

Not Ranked
Posts 4
stmannell wrote
on 2 Aug 2012 7:09 PM

Thank you for your kind reply.  Never thought of a few things, like changing the sewing needle (and probably the same with the rotary cutter blade too).

I have developed a love of this art and hoped that I would be able to continue to explore its' may sides until the end of my time, lol.  So glad to have some ideas on how to cope with it.

Sue

Not Ranked
Posts 4
stmannell wrote
on 2 Aug 2012 7:11 PM

THank you!  I was hoping someone would be able to give me a "BRAND" that I could work with, rather than just trying out whatever I found online.  I never even thought there might be something like this to assist with the aches and pains of wrist issues.  After 20 years of being a receptionist and a piano player (and waitress in the early days), etc.  my poor hands and wrists have taken a beating.

Add in the fact that I have discovered quilting and they are getting a work out like never before, lol!

Sue

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS