Analogy is offensive

This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
pen2paper wrote
on 7 Aug 2012 8:11 PM

I am writing in response to Vivika DeNegre's editor's note in which she compares her collection of embellishments to child victims of the Holocaust.  Her comment that she might have a Sophie's Choice decision to make should her studio catch fire was, at the very least, insensitive.  In the fictional Sophie's Choice, the main character must choose which of her two children to surrender to the *** in a concentration camp.  The story is one of unimaginable cruelty and unbearable pain.  For DeNegre to casually suggest that rescuing her bead collection warrants comparison to the inhuman offenses  inflicted upon families during the Holocaust is disturbing. I sincerely hope that, in the future, DeNegre will be prudent with her references to such atrocities.

pen2paper

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 40
on 8 Aug 2012 10:14 AM

Dear pen2paper,

Thank you very much for voicing your concern over the mention of “Sophie’s Choice” in my Editor’s Note for the August/September issue of Quilting Arts Magazine. Please know that I certainly never intended to be insensitive or trite by making that reference, and I absolutely did not mean to trivialize either the character’s heart-wrenching decision or the Holocaust. In retrospect, I unequivocally regret that choice of analogies; I did not fully think through its implications. I sincerely apologize. Thank you again for voicing your concern.

Sincerely,

Vivika

Vivika Hansen DeNegre
vdenegre@interweave.com

Not Ranked
Posts 2
pen2paper wrote
on 8 Aug 2012 10:24 AM

Dear Vivika,

Many thanks for your response.  I am certain that you never intended to offend and I am grateful for your apology. 

Best Regards,

pen2paper

pen2paper

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS