Dyeing with easter egg dye

This post has 28 Replies | 6 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 63
Barbm12 wrote
on 6 May 2009 4:46 PM

Have any of you tried using pigments. pure colors to dye?  I found Earth Safe Finishes Colorants and am in LOVE with them, very easy, quick and economical.  These are real pigments that every manufacturer uses in their purest form.  I have some info on my blog about using them but need to take the time to write up some more.  Sorry, not so technically literate so it takes me forever to post and do blogs and such. What started me on this dyeing/overdyeing adventure is I inherited tons of good quality but alas, dated fabrics and wanted to give them new life.  Second point is I have had chemical pneumonia twice from artistic adventures and did not want to go there again; these are safe!

I am so delighted and excited by all the posts, info and people here!  Thank you all so much.

Barbara

http://craftgate.com/blog/BarbaraMatthiessen

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 96
TheNeedler wrote
on 10 May 2009 8:35 AM

Well the easter egg dye experiment went well, at least the first part.  I put two tablet of Paas Easter Egg Dye in a two cup plastic Glad container with 3 tbsp. cold water and let them disolve.  Next I added 6 tbsp white vinegar and stirred.  Lastly, I added 1 cup of cold tap water.

I cut the 36" wide cheese cloth into 12"  strips the width of the fabric and wet them under the tap then squeezed the water out well and immersed each piece in a different color dye bath.   I let them sit in the dye bath for an hour, checked them and there was good color absorption. So using  a latex glove, I squeezed out the excess dye and and laid the cloth on a piece of glad wrap.

Next I opened up each piece of cloth to examine the color.  The purple was the only shade that had variations, but they were  nice.  Some areas more reddish and some areas more blue.

Next I paced the green cloth on a plate and nuked it in the micro 2 minutes.  When I took the cloth out, there was a dime-sized spot of scorch, very light, but there.  I nuked the red piece for 1 1/2 mins, and no scorch.  I nuked the blue piece for the same time and got several large areas of scorch medium dark.  When I nuked the yellow for the same amount of time, it nearly caught fire.  I next nuked the red and the orange pieces for 1 min. each and had no marks at all.   I have posted photos in My Files at TheNeeder Bio page. 1st photo indoors 2nd photo in natural daylight.  Second part to follow....Jim D 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 96
TheNeedler wrote
on 10 May 2009 8:37 AM

The 1st red piece for 1 1/2 minutes should actually be the purple piece. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 10 May 2009 9:03 AM

The colors are beautiful and pastel-y, I love them. Have you tried yet rinsiing them out to see how much of the pigment they held onto (or are they even meant for a washable project)?

I have scorched fabrics in the microwave and I've yet to decide if I like the resulting look (I might like it better on tea or coffee-stained fabrics than on bright yellows and greens, etc)... it scares me like mad but I love to set dyes this way LOL.

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 96
TheNeedler wrote
on 10 May 2009 9:31 AM

I took the blue piece after it was nuked and dryed and dipped it into a white bowl of clear water.  A faint tint of blue colored the water, so the color was not permanent  completely.  I have to experiment more to see just how fugitive the dye will be.  Since I don't intend to use this fabri's for anything that has to be washed, It's O.K.

I didn't like the scorch at all, and I used it as a lesson that a microwave on High setting can really crank out some BTU's.  I think for this type of dye 1 min. is the max.,   finish drying on a plastic clothes hanger.

Today I am going to do the 2nd part of the experiment.  I will divide the piece in thirds and tie off.  the middle 3rd will go back in the same dye color for another hr. to see how the intensity of the dye is then.  The Last part will be to mix colors on the remaining 3rd......Jim D

Note:  The package said the vinegar would cause the color to be intense.  You see the colors in the photo, what would they be like without the vinegar?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 10 May 2009 10:22 AM

TheNeedler:

Note:  The package said the vinegar would cause the color to be intense.  You see the colors in the photo, what would they be like without the vinegar?

Thanks for the answer!

I imagine the colors w/o the vinegar would be almost too pale to see on cheesecloth. Might make a good pale pastel on muslin, cotton or particularly silk, but I sure don't think I'd want to rinse them or get them wet at all at that stage- might wash the color right out. I am dying (no pun intended lol) to get my hands on some PAAS dyes and spend a few days experimenting, this sounds so promising (and like it's a lot of fun, too)!

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 21
on 10 May 2009 2:51 PM

Oops Jim, about the scorching!

I guess I should have said that when I nuke it, I nuke it with the fabric in the dye solution and clingfilm on top! Think of it like you would cook food. you need to be sure there is some water going on in there. The colver makes it so the steam stays in to dish.

Some people put a cup of water in with the fabric if they aren't going to do it with alot of liquid.

(Remember, don't do it in the microwave if it isn't already food safe dyes like the Easter egg ones or Koolaid. If it is proper dyes, you can't be sure the dye particles won't transfer to food that is cooked later on. you can pick up secondhand microwaves if you want to use them for proper dyes.)

As for the results, I thought perhaps with cheesecloth the result would be somewhat pastel. Cotton is a plant fibre and won't take the easter egg dye like eggs (and protein fibres) do.

Sandy in the UK

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 96
TheNeedler wrote
on 10 May 2009 3:32 PM

Thanks, Sandy.  I have just finished the 2nd phase of the experimenting, and I have to iron the cheese cloth a bit.  Not putting this one in the microwave.  I will post new photos and notes on the 2nd part this evening sometime.  I haven't done anything  except 4 loads of wash today.  I have to go do my grocery shoppingt and get my uniforms ready for work tomorrow.   This fabric experimenting can get very time consuming.  I am going to use some white wool curls that I have from a felting project and use the dyebath to color some of them.  It should be interesting.More later,....Jim D  

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 11 May 2009 7:57 AM

Jim, how did the overdying go with the cheescloth? Did it deeped the color signifigantly?

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 96
TheNeedler wrote
on 11 May 2009 9:28 AM

It did not do as I expected.  The primaries that made up the colors did weird things on their own in the grn, orange and purple.  The color brightened somewhat, and it streaked in the secondaries .  I died the center 1/3 of each piece.  I used cotton yarn to tie off each end of the third and put the center in the dyebath.. I forgot about gravity and water, and the dye wicked up and over the container and created some more patterns.  I have two photos that I'm going to try to attach here....Jim D

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 96
TheNeedler wrote
on 11 May 2009 9:29 AM

Thanks Belinda for showing me how to put a photo in the forum, now all I have to do is learn to resize first....Jim D

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 11 May 2009 12:57 PM

Jim, glad you worked out how to post photos here, these are helpful! I think your results are beautiful. How do you feel about them?

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 96
TheNeedler wrote
on 11 May 2009 2:41 PM

I like the colors individually on the first experiment.  On the 2nd part they sort of take on a neon glow.  That might be useful in a piece, but I rarely work with neon glowing fabric.  At least not yet  :)    Jim D

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 11 May 2009 6:20 PM

TheNeedler:
... take on a neon glow...

This made my ears perk up... now I know I have to try this! :D

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous  1 2 | RSS