Episode 905

This post has 13 Replies | 7 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
JudiJR wrote
on 21 Mar 2013 12:38 PM

I would like to know the paints or dyes used for the sun painting.  Yes, I know that Dharma Trading COmpany is a source, but they have many different paints and dyes and just being told go to their website doesn't help.

Why is there no listing of products used?  I have no idea of the fusible used in another segment.

If this is the way you "educate, " well, I will become an former viewer.  You have no email top even ask a question.  Having a list of online troubleshooting is not customer service!

Not Ranked
Posts 6
boxermama1 wrote
on 21 Mar 2013 2:01 PM

I wish they had mentioned more information about the paint.  I came to the website to find more information for the fabric painting and sun painting but found nothing.  Very disappointed,

Not Ranked
Posts 1
1grandson wrote
on 21 Mar 2013 2:10 PM

Today's show was the first time I had seen the fabric painting, and I missed the first 10 min.. What kind of fabric and paints were used? 

Not Ranked
Posts 6
boxermama1 wrote
on 21 Mar 2013 3:39 PM

They never said anything other than they were special paints for sun painting.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 902
Muppin wrote
on 21 Mar 2013 4:27 PM

The sun printing paint is by Pebeo called Setacolor Transparent.   It really works like Pokey shows in the episode, and it's lots of fun!

Cheryl / Muppin

Not Ranked
Posts 3
JudiJR wrote
on 21 Mar 2013 4:35 PM

Thanks a lot!  I want to do this with my granddaughter after it finallky warms up around here!

Not Ranked
Posts 6
boxermama1 wrote
on 21 Mar 2013 6:30 PM

What prep does the fabric need to be painted on?

Mary

Not Ranked
Posts 6
boxermama1 wrote
on 21 Mar 2013 6:31 PM

That you so much for the info,

Mary

Not Ranked
Posts 2
golf4fun wrote
on 22 Mar 2013 10:14 AM

Thanks for the information.  I'm new to the program because CreateTV just starting carrying it.  I was a bit disappointed, however, when I had to check the forums for the information about supplies, etc. which were promised to be on the website.  Am I just looking in the wrong place?  

Barb

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 902
Muppin wrote
on 23 Mar 2013 11:04 PM

The QA staff is looking into it, but the QA TV tab at the top menu is where you will find all of the info for the TV show.  

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 902
Muppin wrote
on 23 Mar 2013 11:05 PM

You do not need to prep the fabric, but you need to iron it to set it once it is dry.  There's lots of info online about Setacolor sun printing, which you can put into Google and get lot's of tutorials on it.

Cheryl / Muppin

Not Ranked
Posts 6
boxermama1 wrote
on 24 Mar 2013 7:04 AM

Thank you very much.

Mary

Not Ranked
Posts 6
boxermama1 wrote
on 24 Mar 2013 7:07 AM

That was where I went.  Maybe we  just missed it.

Mary

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 228
ckquilter wrote
on 31 Mar 2013 3:59 AM

hi judi

i have not checked the dharma website. but their paper catalog very specifically describes the paint needed for sun printing.

anyways, i have experience with 2 paints which both work great for sun printing. the pebeo setacolor, transparent (NOT opaque) works great, and is the paint normally recommended for sun printing. i used to be able to buy it locally. but the local store discontinued carrying it. so i started buying from dharma.

i have found another paint, which i can still get locally, which also sunprints great. it is dy na flo. be aware - both paints MUST be diluted with water (at least 50/50, in order to sunprint. and you must prewet the fabric.   in order  for the paint to sunprint, the paint MUST be able to move on the fabric - which is why you need to prewet the fabric, and dilute the paint. (but at 50/50 you wil get rich,saturated color).

also, paint in the shade, then while paint is still wet (remember it must be able to move) move it into the sun to print.

you can print on a wide variety of fabrics. cotton is perfect. i buy a high thread count white for a lot of my sun prints. the expense of pfd fabric is unnecessary. the paint is paint - not dye.                              i prewash my fabrics (except for sheers - explained below)  in the washing machine with a bit of synthrapol. do not use fabric conditioner or dryer sheets.                     i have also sucessfully            sunprinted on silk and rayon.     i have also sunprinted succesfully on many sheer fabrics - with all types of fiber content - including cotton, silk, poly, rayon, nylon.     i did have the paint wash out of one sheer - but of the dozens i have tried, it was the only one.

i no longer heat set the paint right after printing - too much hassle.  if you want to use the fabric immediately, then i would use an iron and heat set the paint.              i always wait for the end  of the summer painting season (about the first of september for me) and then just throw all the painted fabric in the washing machine and then the dryer. as long as the paint has been on the fabric for a week - i have never had a problem with it coming off the fabric (except for that  one sheer i mentioned).           coming out of the dryer the fabric will be a bit stiff ; then i run an iron over it before using, to remove wrinkles (the paint has already been set, by waiting a week before washing; and if not then, by the washing and drying process)  and it also has the effect of softening the hand of the fabric.

you can also mix the paint with a bit of metallic fabric paint for some gorgeous sparkle effects. i have had great luck with up to about 25% metallic. any more and the sunprint diminishes. the metallic paint will also make the hand of the fabric stiffer. just the pebeo or dy na flo alone has almost no effect on the hand of the fabric.

hope that helps                                              ckquilter

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS