New to Quilting and Looking for Help...

This post has 3 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
jc7102010 wrote
on 2 May 2013 3:10 PM

I have only been quilting for a few weeks now and have already completed a few projects :) . I started working on a quilt for my daughter and had discovered a new technique (well, actually, it was new to me)- applique. Immediately I wanted to try it, but I am really not sure where to begin. I want to applique with my machine. The problem is, I don't understand fusible web, interfacing, stabilizers, etc. Does anyone have any advice for beginners with applique? What ARE the specific tools that I need to begin to machine applique (aside from the obvious like the machine, thread, and fabric lol)? Does anyone know of any good youtube videos or websites that I can look at as well? Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Jess

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 889
Muppin wrote
on 3 May 2013 9:24 AM

In Youtube, I put in "machine applique for beginners" and got some great beginner videos with over 90,000 views! I didn't even leave the first page of results and they were very good tutorials.

Some do a great job of explaining fusible web, etc.  One of the great things is that you can do it your own way and it's not the "wrong" way.  Everyone does it different!

Cheryl/ Muppin

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 24
verlon54 wrote
on 6 May 2013 1:57 PM

When you buy the fusible webbing (wonder under, steam a seam)  There will be "usually" directions on how to use the fusible webbing, follow those directions.  Gradually you will find your own way of doing things but for now follow directions.           As for raw edge stitching I use everything from satin stitching, button hole stitch to just plain old straight .  Befor deciding on a stitch I usually will take a piece of fabric and fuse several pieces of fabric and try out different stitches using various settings I.e...lenght, width etc.  and next to each example I write what lenght and width for that stitch.  That way I will have a sample to refer to when trying to decide which edge stitch I would be using and what stitch setting would work best for my  project.   Good luck....gladly answer any other questions...............HAVE FUN!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 219
ckquilter wrote
on 15 May 2013 12:59 AM
hi jess wow. whole books have been written on the subject. maybe start there ?? there are lots of ways to machine applique - depending on how you want the final result - and what you will use the quilt for. if you are making a quilt to hang on the wall - any method will do. but a bed quilt, to be used and washed is gonna need to be sturdy. for the bed quilt - 1. traditional style applique. you cut the shape out with a seam allowance, and turn the edge under, before stitching down. stitch down with a zigzag, buttonhole, satin or decorative stitch. gives a sturdy, finished edge. but u are limited to simple shapes that can be turned. 2. fusing a fusible web to the wrong side of the fabric, then cutting out the shape on the line, with no seam allowance. fuse the shape to the right side of the background fabric. then satin stitch the edge. gives a fairly sturdy edge but more bulky than the traditional. slightly less durable. but you can cut and sew any shape because you don't have to turn the edge under. for the wall quilt - 1. traditional 2. same as above. but can also be stitched down any way you want. fusible web is fused to the wrong side of the applique piece. paper removed. then fuse the shape to the right side of the background fabric. the fusible holds the shape in place while you sew it down. it will not hold the shape securely for very long. and is not designed to be washed - unlss it is stiched down. stabilizer - and there are many different types - are placed underneath the background fabric,after the applique has been applied but before sewing. it stabilizes the fabrics so that they don't pull up while being stitched. the heavier the stitching , the more stabilizer needed. for wall quilt - anything goes. for bed quilt - you want something which will stabilize during sewing, but which can then be mostly removed, to leave the quilt as soft as possible. interfacing is a type of stabilizer. used mostly for clothing. can sometimes be used as a stabilizer. there are several different weights. designed to be left in after sewing. so they will affect the hand of the finished quilt. (ok for wall. some will be too stiff for bed quilts.) thread - again depends on the quilt's use. for wall quilt - anything that gives the desired effect. for bed quilt - staying with cotton, monofilament, rayon or poly would be most washable and sturdy. will try to help with specific questions. ckquilter
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS