Being a certified Patchwork & Quilting teacher

This post has 14 Replies | 7 Followers
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 47
on 31 Aug 2013 2:46 PM

Hi, how have you been doing?

I'm writing from Argentina. Some of you have already seen my work.

I have a question: how can I do to be a certified P & Q teacher? All the teachers in Argentina are just like me, with much more experience perhaps, they know the job and teach.

I also know how but I would like to get a formal education. As I have said I live in Buenos Aires so I will be unable to study in the USA. Are there any courses on line?

I hope you will help me find a way.

Thank you!

All the best.

Pat

Not Ranked
Posts 1
mommiz wrote
on 1 Sep 2013 3:31 PM

Hi. I'm new here. In the U.S. there is a website called Quilt University. I has online courses. Here is a weblink:  http://www.quiltuniversity.com/  Good luck and let us know if you enroll & keep us up to date on how you are doing!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 47
on 1 Sep 2013 7:57 PM

thank you! I will try and let you know.

pat

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 895
Muppin wrote
on 3 Sep 2013 10:34 PM

Hi Pat, 

In many areas of the USA, the teachers are just simply people willing to share their knowledge, and there's no real certification for it.  In the UK, there are certifications through the City and Guilds program, but I don't think that's stopped anyone from teaching quilt classes to others!

Thanks

Cheryl

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 24
nor easter wrote
on 9 Sep 2013 10:12 AM

Just FYI, Quilt University is closing forever at the end of this year due to the death of Carol Miller, the founder and 'dean'.  It was never any kind of degree granting organization, but simply a place to take online quilting classes, similar to Craftsy.  It will be sorely missed worldwide. 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 47
on 19 Sep 2013 7:09 PM

I see...

Now I can understand why my mails were never responded.

I wrote to the City and Guilds in London but the answer was just a series of mails saying the same thing: try our web site and find the nearest centre from your place. They don't even read what you write. On the other side, I couldn't find a centre in South America.

Pity!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 133
on 20 Sep 2013 2:16 AM

Hi Pat

City and Guilds run a number of creative courses -  they are overseen by their headquarters in London.  There are centres around which run the courses, and some via distance learning.  Each Centre can run the course as they choose, as long as it meets the criteria and standards set - these are overseen by what are called External Verifiers.  So if you want specifically City & Guilds qualifications, I suggest you search for "distance learning".

The creative courses are not about teaching.  They are there to extend and further your knowledge and skills on your chosen craft.  In the UK you do not need formal C&G qualifications in your subject in order to teach it.  You need the knowledge and the ability to share it.  However,  teaching in a college environment - what we call Adult Education usually, for those 19+ years old, a teaching qualification IS needed.

Teaching qualification are about that, how to lesson plan, assess, guide, health and safety, how to speak to people etc - so it may be that a teaching qualification is something of use... or not, depending on what your locality expects.

Have you heard of the UK mother and daughter Linda and Laura Kemshall?  They both make beautiful quilts.  They also offer up distance learning - I don't believe this is City & Guilds, but it is open to overseas students.  They also have online videos to subscribe to for information.

http://www.lindakemshall.com/

You will likely find plenty of others who can offer one or both of these options, from around the world.  Its really about self assessing, what you want, wnat you actually need to do it... who your students will be etc

Good Luck

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 47
on 20 Sep 2013 5:45 PM

you have brought me hope. thanks! I have just sent these ladies a message through facebook.

I let you know any news

thanks again

all the best

pat

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 11
on 1 Oct 2013 10:04 AM

Pat,

Here is a link to the National Quilting Association's Website about their certified Quilting Instructor's program...

http://wyattlab.com/teachers_certification.php

I hope this is helpful:)

Jennifer

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 47
on 2 Oct 2013 3:09 PM

Jennifer

Thank you for you advice. I will do as you suggest.

regards

pat

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 47
on 2 Oct 2013 3:11 PM

As regards Ms Kemshall she asked me to contact Ms Sian Martin whose assistant answered my mail saying Ms Martin was away but when she is back will send information about the program.

thanks

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on 23 Oct 2013 9:48 PM

In regard to the closing of Quilt University, many of the faculty members are moving to the Academy of Quilting. Check their website especially January 2014. Sallie in Georgia

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 47
on 24 Oct 2013 11:16 AM

Hi Sallie!

Thank you for your response. I'll do what you suggest.

I'm still waitng for a response from the NQA. I wrote at least nthree times. LAst week they asked me to confirm my email address. I did it. I got no response yet.

Well, I''ll let you know any news.

Thanks again!

pat in Buenos Aires

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 47
on 24 Oct 2013 5:34 PM

the Academy of Quilting has just sent an answer. They don't issue certificates for teachers. Pity!

I wll still keep on looking for what I want.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
ckquilter wrote
on 8 Nov 2013 7:19 PM

hi pat

you can search forever and look to teach someone else's info - but that is not what most quilters are looking for.

most beginning quilters are gonna take classes to learn how to do things - rotary cut, foundation paper piece, free motion quilt.....and you can always set up classes for that.   these would often be taught at the local quilt shop, or through adult education.

if you want to share your knowledge, but not be financially reimbursed (although the benefits are fantastic) you canoffer to teach at local schools - as part of their art or home ec training. or for the local girl scouts or 4H or childs club...........................

more advanced quilters are gonna be looking for more art inspired education - using art knowledge. special methods to turn quilts into fabric art.painting. embellishing. specialty free motion methods.  they will see work by someone - and want to know how to do that.  so if you are making things that are unique to you - then that is what people will want to learn from you.

you will then need to decide what to teach, and how to teach it, and how long is the class..................

in other words, if you want to teach, quit trying to follow someone else's plan - and design your own class. move away from being the student and into sharing YOUR  knowledge.                                        ckquilter

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS