Quilt Question

This post has 2 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
1978Cougar wrote
on 5 Oct 2013 4:41 PM

I have always wanted to learn to quilt and now that I am not working it is a perfect time.  I went to a garage sale and found what I think is the beginning of a Christmas quilt.  I have many decorative squares and then many solid squares.  All cut with pinking shears.  My problem or question is the decorative squares are 8 1/2 x 8 1/2, while the solid squares are only 8 x 8.  I thought they all had to be the same size.  Do I have the beginnings of a quilt or something else?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 906
Muppin wrote
on 7 Oct 2013 2:19 PM

Hello!

I think it depends on what kind of quilt you want to make out of what you have.  If you want them to all be the same size blocks, you could add extra fabric to the edges of the smaller blocks to bring them up to the size of the larger ones. 

Or, you could make 2 things out of the blocks you have, one with the larger sizes and one with the small ones.

Have fun!

Cheryl /  Muppin

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 308
on 8 Oct 2013 3:05 PM

Hi there, 1978Cougar and welcome to quiltingdaily.com!

Muppin's suggestions are great. I'd like to throw my two cents in, too.

It sounds to me like you might have the beginnings of a quilt and, YES, all of your squares must be the same size.

Before you begin sewing, consider taking a Beginner Quilt Making class, if something like that is available in your area. Check for classes at local quilt or fabric shops, the library, adult ed at your local public school, or a senior or community center. Or, if you learn well independently, take out a book from the library or buy one at a shop (the shop would be a good place to get recommendations on their current favorite title for beginners). This will help you with the basics of creating your quilt.

Also, I'd recommend gently washing and drying all of the squares. I know that sounds like a pain but, if the fabric is going to fall apart you'll want to know that BEFORE you sew it into a quilt, not AFTER! Fabric can be damaged over time by heat, moisture, poor air circulation, and much more.

Finally, I'd recommend ironing and recutting all of the squares to a uniform size, for example, 7 1/2" x 7 1/2". (Pinked edges are hard to sew with an accurate seam allowance and accuracy in sewing is important for everything to fit together.) Here's where a Beginner Quilt Making class will really come in handy-they will likely teach you about using rotary cutters, self-healing cutting mats, and acrylic rulers, three of the most innovative tools of the last half century to help quilters be accurate and speedy.

I think you're in for a great adventure with your rescued squares! Finds like that make me wonder about the quilter or sewist who cut them in the first place and what her/his plan was for them. Hmm. We'll never know but you can make new memories with this bounty!

Good luck and check back in!

Kristine Lundblad,
Asst. Editor, Quilting Arts Magazine

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS