Using foil transfer onto fabric

This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
grannylaura wrote
on 12 Jan 2014 2:56 PM

I really want to try to do this, but I am having a problem trying to find a source. I know you can get a cellophane backed foil that you press on with an iron, and a kind that you rub on. But I'm not sure where to look for this, or what brands people like. I don't want to buy something and then have to buy adhesive to make it stick. Any direction on what brands to look for would help!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 133
on 12 Jan 2014 3:33 PM
All the foils I've used, you do need an adhesive, even if using an iron, also all the foils I've used come on a cellophane carrier sheet. But the 'adhesive' doesn't have to be a glue specifically for the product, or a wet glue. There are some of course. But you can use Bondaweb (UK) or WunderUnder, or even if you've painted with acrylic paint, leave that to dry lay on the foil and gently iron, it makes the paint grip the foil. Not your needs I know, but if used on paper then ordinary double sided sticky tape (or the many variations it comes in) works too. I first used foil over 20 years ago, and back then it came as scraps from the local printers - used to foil onto books or the names on credit cards/membership cards etc. . Indeed I have bought foil which is only 2" or so wide, but on a roll from Ebay, made for this purpose. A lot cheaper than branded for craft purposes. If you go to the other side of the market, ie gold leaf, you can use that on fabric with the likes of bondaweb, done that too. Have a look at your stash and just think, do you own a glue in some form which goes tacky, or a product which when heated does the same thing, if so, you will likely have a 'glue' for your foil. The foil itself used to be known under many names, aside from brand names, such as Transfer Foil, Fantasy Foil, Magic Foil.
Not Ranked
Posts 3
grannylaura wrote
on 2 Feb 2014 10:33 PM

Thanks, I will try that. Crazy thing happened, my friend took me to a fantastic store in Vancouver BC, called Urban Source, she carries all sorts of crazy stuff in bulk and guess what she had! Foils, gold, silver, copper, colored, that you could buy in handfulls for next to nothing! And all kinds of different types of papers, and metals. You pick a size of bag, medium size was $6.95 and you fill it with whatever you want from the bulk stuff. I can't wait to get to trying it all out! If you ever get to Vancouver, check it out! She's at 3126 Main St, downtown Vancouver.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
sandraboon wrote
on 2 Apr 2014 4:17 AM

I know I've tried using gold leaf with regular glue and it was a huge mistake. Now whenever I use precious or semi-precious foil I use a specific glue from this site and it usually works... thanks for the store address, sounds like a great place.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS