New Work

This post has 7 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Rhoda@3 wrote
on 5 May 2009 7:30 AM

I have just finished a piece called 'Washday Blues', there is lot's of hand stitching on it. I call my method embroidery applique.

I don't see a way to attach it to my post, but it is in 'my files'.

I look forward to your critique.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 53
Maria Elkins wrote
on 5 May 2009 8:46 AM

How large is this piece? I'm assuming it is fairly small based on the quilting stitches. I like the subject matter and the composition. However, to me it seems that the background competes with the subject matter. Maybe it's because some of the squares in the background are about the same size as the woman's head. I would have liked to see the background done on a different scale. For instance, if the squares were bigger, I could imagine that they suggested hanging sheets or towels that she just washed.  If they were smaller they might have reminded me of the gingham on aprons. Or, you could make them the current size but just use less contrast and then they wouldn't be distracting. For instance, a light blue and a medium blue in the sky area. But I really like the expression on the woman's face! Very nice.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 96
TheNeedler wrote
on 5 May 2009 9:21 AM

Boy does this piece bring back memories!  I have used a  washboard and tub many times.  I have also boiled overalls and jeans in an iron kettle, stirred with a wooden paddle and used home made lye soap to get them clean.  While I don't wish to return to those times, they are nostalgic to me for it was at the same time I learned to quilt at my grandmother's house using an old Singer tradle machine .  Now I have a fancy Husqvarna-Viking but I still reach up to turn the drive wheel!!

The theme is wonderful but the background pattern is overpowering.  You did such beautiful work on the lady and her activity, it is a shame for it to get lost in the woods so to speak.  The background work is beautiful in itself, but there needs to be better contrast between subject and background.

Thanks for the Memory.............Jim D

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 41
on 6 May 2009 3:45 AM

Very nice work indeed.  I do agree with Jim, a little more contrast with the background would be stunning to the subject matter.  Thank you for sharing your work.  It is always nice to have input for future endeavors.  Nice to meet you and I look forward to more of your art.  Jennifer Morlock

http://quiltcrazygaljennalouise.blogspot.com/

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Rhoda@3 wrote
on 7 May 2009 11:16 AM

I would like to thank all of you for your critique, it is well taken

Rhoda

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 99
pandabolt wrote
on 7 May 2009 12:06 PM

I am technically challenged!!  How do I go about seeing this piece?  :)  I wanna see.....I wanna see

Peggy Holt

Missoula, Montana

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
She-Quilts wrote
on 10 May 2009 2:57 AM

Click on rhoda's name in her first post.  This takes you to her profile page.  On the right side, there is a small picture of her quilt, "washday".  Click on that.  

I like it Rhoda!  :)

Joyce

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 218
MellyT wrote
on 10 May 2009 4:40 PM

I like the piece alot. I think the background competes some, but not so much that I would change it in any way. But I like the background too, because I think it sets a homey feel, a country home type feel. So perhaps those two comments void each other out.

The part that competes for me is the color. It seems close in the wash basin area and that is the focus of the piece.

BUT!!! As I said, I really like it. You have captured an essential aspect in the face and I feel something from the piece, so that is successful.

Author: Inspired to Quilt
Melanie Testa<--my art
Go play in your studio!!!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS