My first art quilt!

This post has 5 Replies | 4 Followers rated by 2 users
Not Ranked
Posts 4
barbietoman wrote
on 25 Aug 2014 5:41 PM

This is my first art / mixed media art quilt. I free motion stitched  six various panels and then painted the muslin. When all six were completed I stitched them together to make one large block. Patches of waste muslin was applied and then shells and sea glass from our trips to the ocean were added.  I would like to mount it on a heavy textured material but not sure of what, do you have any suggestions?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 906
Muppin wrote
on 26 Aug 2014 5:51 PM

I love it!   I don't know that I would mount it, maybe other than to canvas to hang.  I like it just the way it is!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 36
rosenana wrote
on 29 Aug 2014 1:09 PM

I think your work is exceptional.  If you have decided to use a border around it, I think I  would  not use black but  some shade of blue.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 230
ckquilter wrote
on 30 Aug 2014 3:25 AM

hi barbie

some questions for you

- where are you planning on displaying it ?

- how heavy is it ?  does it need more support ? is that why you want to mount it on something sturdy?

- are the outer edges finished ?  if not, how do you plan on finishing them (its hard to tell from the picture)

ckquilter

Not Ranked
Posts 4
barbietoman wrote
on 2 Sep 2014 5:58 PM

Hi

I don't know where or if I will be displaying this. It was more experimental really. Everything I do it seems is experimental since I have so little experience under my belt.

It's no heavy at all! It's simple two pieces of muslin, cotton batting, a bit of paint and a few trinkets.

You know, to be honest with you I didn't know how to finish the edges so I simply added a zig-zag while free motioning - I like the unobstructed edges. If I were to add a border or finishing on the edges I might add copper tape and wrap it around. the edges are the reason I also thought of putting it on something firm with some wispy edges like a loose weave linen or the like.

Thanks for asking, you raise some good questions that I have not thought about.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 230
ckquilter wrote
on 27 Sep 2014 3:47 AM

hi barbie

did you figur out what to do with the edges ?

in looking at the piece closer - i don't like the straight edge. the rest of it has such a beautiful, soft,natural feel to it - and then you get to the hard, staight edge. not in keeping with the feel of the quilt at all.

how about - make another piece. as an extension of all sides. but instead of having a straight outer edge - me it curved all the way around. let it wave in and out, but not in a regular way. keep it asymmetric.  it wil allow you to continue playing with the methods you used in the body of the quilt.

you could start by finishing the outer curved edge. then work inward a bit. then tack the new piece to the original quilt. then rework over the joint, to take it back to being one cohesive work.    the join could easily be covered with beads or shells or textured cheesecloth, or all of them.

i don't understand why you would use copper. wrong color. wrong feel for what is already there.      the loose linen is muchmore in keeping with what is already there.                      ckquilter

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS