My first art quilt!

This post has 4 Replies | 4 Followers rated by 2 users
Not Ranked
Posts 4
barbietoman wrote
on 25 Aug 2014 5:41 PM

This is my first art / mixed media art quilt. I free motion stitched  six various panels and then painted the muslin. When all six were completed I stitched them together to make one large block. Patches of waste muslin was applied and then shells and sea glass from our trips to the ocean were added.  I would like to mount it on a heavy textured material but not sure of what, do you have any suggestions?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 895
Muppin wrote
on 26 Aug 2014 5:51 PM

I love it!   I don't know that I would mount it, maybe other than to canvas to hang.  I like it just the way it is!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 31
rosenana wrote
on 29 Aug 2014 1:09 PM

I think your work is exceptional.  If you have decided to use a border around it, I think I  would  not use black but  some shade of blue.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 228
ckquilter wrote
on 30 Aug 2014 3:25 AM

hi barbie

some questions for you

- where are you planning on displaying it ?

- how heavy is it ?  does it need more support ? is that why you want to mount it on something sturdy?

- are the outer edges finished ?  if not, how do you plan on finishing them (its hard to tell from the picture)

ckquilter

Not Ranked
Posts 4
barbietoman wrote
on 2 Sep 2014 5:58 PM

Hi

I don't know where or if I will be displaying this. It was more experimental really. Everything I do it seems is experimental since I have so little experience under my belt.

It's no heavy at all! It's simple two pieces of muslin, cotton batting, a bit of paint and a few trinkets.

You know, to be honest with you I didn't know how to finish the edges so I simply added a zig-zag while free motioning - I like the unobstructed edges. If I were to add a border or finishing on the edges I might add copper tape and wrap it around. the edges are the reason I also thought of putting it on something firm with some wispy edges like a loose weave linen or the like.

Thanks for asking, you raise some good questions that I have not thought about.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS