Using Designer Labels for an Art Quilt...Trademark issues?

This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
icolorize wrote
on 18 Nov 2014 10:57 AM

Hi,

Would any copyright or trademark law be broken if designer labels were used to create an original art quilt design?

In the past  I've used fabric selvedges to create my own fabric for items like purses and never thought twice about infringing copyright or trademark law.  However, considering that some fabrics have copyright restrictions (Disney comes to mind) maybe label use is a no-no.

I really would like to use my label stash that includes many different designer labels and consumer tags to create art that would be displayed in a gallery...maybe sell it too.

Is that possible to do without breaking any laws?

Bette 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 907
Muppin wrote
on 19 Nov 2014 10:09 AM

Hi Bette-

Are you talking about the tags inside of clothing? Those kinds of labels?

I'm no lawyer, but if there's a chance that people could mistake your item for the designer's then I'd contact a copyright lawyer before proceeding to sell it.

Cheryl / Muppin

Not Ranked
Posts 3
icolorize wrote
on 19 Nov 2014 11:08 AM

Hi Cheryl-

I'm talking about combining a lot of labels from a lot of different designer brands plus various other consumer tags...fiber content...garment cleaning...garment size...etc. to make a one of a kind wall art collage.

With so many labels placed at differing angles I really doubt that any viewer would associate my final art piece as being the work of any specific designer/label.

So, I'm asking whether recognizable garment labels are considered untouchable because of trademarks, or  if they may be freely reused to create other items...like an art collage.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS