Publicity for my upcoming exhibition

This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 7
on 30 Dec 2014 12:46 AM

Hi everybody

Happy New Year!

I have just signed up for my first UK solo exhibition of my quilts in May 2015 at Midsomer Quilting, Somerset, UK. I am really excited and am beginning to think about getting the word out about it.

However, I am really struggling to find the contact details of magazines etc to get it listed in their 'what's on' sections. If anybody has any help I would very much appreciate it!

Also - any other ideas for how to publicise would be welcomed. I have my press release written - I just need to get it 'out there'! If you have a moment, please take a look at my website for more info on the exhibition.

http://clairepassmore.weebly.com/here-and-far-exhibition.html

Very many thanks

Claire

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 135
on 30 Dec 2014 4:55 AM

Hi Claire

Its all very exciting isn't it?

Magazines, tend to need a minimum lead up time of 3 months before the issue you want to appear in, some of them can be as much as 6 months.  Info is usually on the What's On page or, within the credits, in small print, on the first page or so, its usually a department and not a person you are looking for.  A narrative inclusion in a list is often down to the discretion of the magazine, so no guarantees you will get in, depends on how much info they have to include that issue.  However, sometimes if the magazine also has a website, you may be in that, if not in the paper version.  If you pay for an ad to publicise that's an entirely different matter.

Press releases are usually written in a specific format/layout.  You could try sending those to local newspapers, as they often are the ones to run local interest stories.

You can also try the country living type magazines - ones for the county, specifically, but they may need a full article.

Posters go to branches of Quilters Guild and Embroiderers' Guild and other creative groups.They can also go to haberdashery/quilting/art shops, libraries.  However, from experience its not a one size fits all.  For instance, a local shop would put poster in window but only A5.... local library liked A4 and my own branch of the Embroiderers' Guild like A6, handbag size, to take away with them!  So you need to check if making a certain size, words can still be read.  Making a poster which is pretty is one thing.... making it so wording can be read, is another. Rather than to/fro asking what they want, I'd send a selection or email.  Don't forget though if you email a poster, for a group with meetings, you are asking them to print out, and they may not be wiling to do that, especially A4 and full page colour.

Oh and don't forget, if you are emailing a poster... a pdf is a quick way to send, but its no good in that version for websites, blogs etc, it needs to be a jpeg or visual format.  Don't forget social media also, like Twitter and Facebook.

There really isn't a 'one size fits all' approach to this, its about time, effort, money with what you can do, and goodwill on the part of others, but if you make it easy for them, they are more likely to help out.

Oh and make a note of who you sent and what format... though I can guarantee another time they will prefer it in a different set up!

Good luck

Not Ranked
Posts 7
on 30 Dec 2014 3:28 PM

Hi Beverley

Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a detailed reply - I have been busy all afternoon with your suggestions. 

I visited your blog and website - I love your work. It is always great to see new ideas and inspiring ideas. Happy New Year - hope your little Boxing Day book turned out well!

Best wishes

Claire

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS