help with dresden plate question please

This post has 2 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
goldenjam99 wrote
on 26 Feb 2015 5:52 AM

Hello, 

My name is Julie and I am a new quilter and new to this site.  My mother was a very creative woman and a wonderful quilter, unfortunately she's no longer here for me to ask, so my question is this:  is there some type of formula to use to determine how wide the base of a spoke should be for a Dresden plate in relation to its length?  the pattern I am looking at says to cut 20 rectangles 2 1/2" by 3 3/4".  I believe the height is the 3 3/4" but with the sample I did from scraps, the base looks very wide and the diameter of the hole in the center looks huge.  This is supposed to fit on a 10" square.  The base of the template I have is 2 1/2" so perhaps I need to get a different one?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Julie

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 130
VivikaEditor wrote
on 2 Mar 2015 2:12 PM

Hi Julie,

Since no one else has piped up yet, I'm going to suggest you take a look at this Dresden Plate tutorial from our sister site Quiltmaker.com. They have more experience with traditional quilting blocks there.

http://www.quiltmaker.com/videos/episode/dresden-plate-tutorial

But if anyone else can answer Julie's question, please come forward! 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
anng07 wrote
on 21 Mar 2015 11:56 PM

There are formulae, but they involve trigonometry which few can do easily. Instead, borrow a "maths set" which contains two triangles. Use the one with 3 different angles and select the smallest angle. Draw a triangle with this angle at the top, and extend the two sides equally. (Measure them to be certain they ARE equal). Draw the base across. You can then make them as long/short as you like. Your paper pieces are only 3 1/2" long, so you will not use the full width. If you make the equal sides about 3 1/2" long, this will fit easily in a 10" square.

Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS