When did QA stop providing QATV project instructions on website?

This post has 9 Replies | 6 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 6
on 23 Mar 2015 9:46 PM

I realize that change is expected when a publication group is sold to another entity as the Interweave brand has gone through.  However, was it really necessary to stop providing instructions for projects/techniques demonstrated on Quilting Arts TV on the website?  I wanted to get the measurements for a bag Sarah Ann Smith showed on a previous episode.  I didn't need anything else from any of the other episodes in that series.  Now, I see that I have to pay for an eBook of project instructions if I want to make any project shown on QATV.

I don't know about the opinions of other viewers, but I frequently purchase & download workshops, digital only magazines, etc from the website and I don't think the viewers of QATV should have to pay for project instructions.  Prior to this change we were able to get the project information along with the guests' websites and blog addresses for the guests on each episode on the individual show's page on the website, in addition to supplier resources.

I support Quilting Arts, the sponsors by purchasing their products and the I support PBS stations in my state during their fundraisers because I believe it is important to continue to have this kind of programming available for everyone.  I think Interweave/Quilting Arts is pinching pennies to require viewers to purchase an eBook to get the projects that were shown during the QATV episodes.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 915
Muppin wrote
on 24 Mar 2015 3:21 PM

Hi Twisted Threads-

You do not have to pay for the downloads of the projects from series 1400 and lower, they are all available at http://www.quiltingdaily.com/media/18/default.aspx.  If you are looking for the bag from Sarah's episode in Series 1400, it's one of the first projects on that page.  It's free to get.   

Cheryl / Muppin 

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 26
nor easter wrote
on 26 Mar 2015 5:07 PM

Let's just hope that F+W doesn't start adding 30 page plus-sized women's clothing catalogs to the center of QA Magazine like they have to subscription issues of Quilters Newsletter Magazine. 

When asked why the change, they responded, "The answer is simple: money" adding that it fits their demographic of "a well-to-do educated woman in her mid- to late-50's to 60's."

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 75
Cate Prato wrote
on 6 Apr 2015 9:00 PM

Hi Twisted Threads:

Thank you for voicing your concerns regarding the supplemental information to QATV. We love our viewers and appreciate you taking your valuable time to watch the shows. Unfortunately, it is very expensive to produce this high quality content free to PBS stations, and we've had to change our policy regarding the instructions and patterns for the episodes. There is a lot of time and energy going into planning out each episode and supplemental downloads. I hope you understand that we do need to pay our employees for their hard work on creating this wonderful product and hope the nominal fee won’t deter you from continuing to watch QATV.” 

Cate Prato
Online Editor 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
cj_geiger wrote
on 28 Apr 2015 9:24 PM

You would think that the show could make money from product endorsements and not have to charge us viewers for project instructions via magazine subscriptions. In my case, I just wanted to know what brand was that photo iron-on transfer paper that was used in Season 15, Episode 7 where they were making a quilted portrait from a family photo so I could buy it. But I couldn't even find that out on the show or website.
I think I'm going to stop watching the show. What's the use when I can't even find out how to do the stuff?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 75
Cate Prato wrote
on 28 Apr 2015 11:21 PM

cj_geiger, we are always happy to answer questions about QATV episodes, magazine articles, and any of our other products. The photo transfer paper Lesley Riley uses in Season 15, episode 7, is Transfer Artist Paper, also known as TAP. You can buy it online from several sources, including Lesley's website: http://lesleyriley.com/shop/ as well as in our Lesley Riley Inspirational Photo Quilt Collection: http://www.interweavestore.com/lesley-riley-inspirational-photo-quilt-collection.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 248
ckquilter wrote
on 29 Apr 2015 4:02 AM

hi, you are totally within your rights not to watch the programs.

but the only one missing out then is you. they are gonna air them, regardless of whether you watch the program or not.

and yes, other people need to earn a living also. the price of the magazine for a year is no more than the cost of one good book. and by the end of the year, there are many different methods and lots of info provided.

so you are asking them to provide you with lots of info - at no cost to you ??

if you had to buy the book or take a class - you would spend a lot more.

there are also many adds in the magazine - good sources of the products mentioned in the articles.   and the articles themselves often have lists of sources. 

many of the art quilt special products are not found in most regular quilt shops. but there are some places that will carry these specialty items. and often they are available thru the quilt art shop in the tab at the top of this page.

those of us who appreciate the inspiration and practical knowledge provided in the shows and in the magazine, realize they are a very good value.

the shows cover a lot of info quickly. that is the nature of tv. more in depth info is given in the magazine. or you could spend more money and buy a book about the method or product. or you could hope to find a class with someone teaching the method - but the class will probably not be free either.

you don't have to use or pay for their info. you could ask a friend, or at your local quilt shop. or find a book or pay for a class. or just figure it out on your own.   there are several ways of making photo quilts.    there is at least one website that will print pictures onto fabric for you. but they are not free either.

so you have lots of options.    sure hope you continue quilting - and art quilting is a blast. as is learning new methods and trying new ways off doing things.

and spending a few dollars to have info about products - without having to buy a bunch of different ones, and seeing the results without having to spend all the time and money to work thru the method - as is often available in the magazine in their reviews - for me is a LOT of time and money saved. and well worth the cost of the magazine (you will spend a lot more than that just on one product if you have to work it out for yourself ).

personally, i hope you continue art quilting - you will have a lot of fun. and this forum and the programs are a good place to find new ideas and lots of practical info.                                ckquilter

Not Ranked
Posts 2
bill38 wrote
on 5 Oct 2015 4:28 PM

Well, so long quilting arts, nice knowing you. I won't be bothering to watch the show anymore since I have no choice of following ideas, materials etc. by downloading specifics. Your loss not mine.

Cecily Howell

Not Ranked
Posts 6
on 6 Oct 2015 6:53 AM

Hi Cate,

I have my settings to email me when a new post has been made to discussion threads I'm following.  I didn't mean to ask a question that would have generated the negative replies.  I hope everyone following this discussion thread will understand the actual question.  I had been searching for the info on a segment of one of the shows.  As a long time subscriber of Quilting Arts and viewer of the show I was used to going to the episode info online to get the particulars of what the guests or host said would be on the website as far as instruction, supplies, etc.  When I found the episode online and I saw there was a charge for getting the information I was just surprised because there hadn't been a charge prior to that recent time.

It's just a minimal charge for the episode information.  I wasn't referring to the QA magazine subscription.  It sounds like some members thought my question was about the magazine subscription, so I wanted to clear that up for anyone who might have been confused.

For those who are interested, there was recent 40% off on Interweave products so if you sign up for the emails you know when Interweave has sales going on.  For me, that's a great time to buy supplies, etc. that I need.  In my area we have Joann's, Hancock's, Hobby Lobby, and AC Moore.  They just don't have many of the supplies we like to use in our art quilts, so I buy most of my supplies online.

When companies merge there are always changes - some we like and some we don't; but I would never let any minimal "thing" like I asked in my question keep me from being a dedicated QA subscriber, viewer, and member of the community.  For those who have mentioned they may stop viewing or subscribing to QA, please don't.  Like one of the other members mentioned - you will be the only one missing out.  There is a wealth of information online and in each issue of the magazine (and I like to buy back issues that I've misplaced) and in all of the QA shows.  We have several PBS stations on cable in my area and now there are two different series running on two of the channels.  One on Monday is the current series and one on Thursday is an older series.  It's a great way to "remember" a technique I had wanted to experiment with but didn't get around to it and I had kind of forgotten about it.  So that's a real winner for me!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 75
Cate Prato wrote
on 6 Oct 2015 12:56 PM

Hi Everyone,

Since I last posted to this thread, we have changed our policy somewhat, based on your feedback. For QATV projects that reference a simple pattern or brief notes on the topic discussed, we have free downloads on this website: http://www.quiltingdaily.com/media/18/default.aspx

We offer more thorough and complex tutorials (which require editing and layout) in our online store, where you can select the download you want and get it for a small fee: http://www.interweavestore.com/quilting/quilting-patterns/instructions-for-quilting-arts-tv 

This way, you don't have to pay for a basic pattern and you only pay for the tutorials you want. We hope you'll agree this is a fair compromise.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS