Leaves on ice - Feedback needed

This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
elbps wrote
on 12 Jun 2015 2:33 PM

Hello all,

This is my first time posting on this forum.  I've been working on this little piece, trying to capture leaves sitting on top of a frozen puddle.  I like it but something just isn't working and I would very much appreciate your feedback. Happy quilting !

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 245
ckquilter wrote
on 13 Jun 2015 4:15 AM

hi elbps

you are doing pretty well at portraying the frozen puddle. and the leaves are nice .   but - it needs to be icier.

i can see the depth in the puddle - good job there. but now i want to see the ice. needs some sparkle - ice crystals.

the other thing i would do differently - i have never seen a square puddle. how about changing the shape of the outer edge - make it more natural and organic. lose the binding/border. the border detracts from the natural feel of the puddle.

another idea - hard to tell from the picture - are the leaves totally flat ? why not some curled edges - more 3 dimensional leaves ? and where is the ice on the leaves ?   there could even be a leaf under the ice? frozen into the puddle ?

ckquilter

Not Ranked
Posts 3
elbps wrote
on 14 Jun 2015 6:50 PM

Thanks so much for your feedback, ck quilter.  I agree it needs to be icier, maybe mylar??, and love the idea of changing the shape, have an idea of using layers of tulle to give the feel of an icy edge of the puddle.  I actually had played with the idea of going 3D with the leaves but decided to try it as it was as I just really like those leaves, but you're spot on - they need the dimension.  I'm going to rework it using your suggestions and will post the results when I get it done.  Thanks again.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 245
ckquilter wrote
on 15 Jun 2015 3:40 AM

hi elbps

mylar may work. or fused angelina. or just sparkle paint ? there are also some sparkly, shaped confetti that might work. 

i would probably try them on a separate piece, before adding the right one to your existing work.

i also like your leaves. but i also like dimensional.    how about leaving what is there, and adding another one or 2 that give it dimension. they could even overlap part of the existing ones.   remember - it would be unlikely for all the leaves to be spaced separately , naturally. at least part of 1 or more would likely overlap. would look more natural.  a dimensional leaf or more on the new edge, would give a natural feel to the puddle - and help make the edge more organic.

there is sparkle tulle available - that might work for your edges.

you might try also adding "ice" to your dimensional leaves - maybe beads? in the right colors.

just a thought - might be totally not where you would want this to go - how about a reflection ? printed on a sheer, and slipped under your ice - so if someone looks close , they would see it - but not the first thing you would notice. me - i would use one of my nieces faces. you could use a daughter's or your own face.

i'll be waiting to see the changes.       ckquilter

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS