THREAD PAINTING

This post has 1 Reply | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
caroleeeeee wrote
on 18 Jun 2015 12:18 PM

I am trying my hand at Thread Painting after reading the article by Susan Brubaker Knapp in the Aug/Sept 14 issue of Quilting Arts.  I fused a stabilizer to the back of my quilt top as she suggested but it does not move easily as I am thread painting.  I tried the slider, but that didn't work either.   Has anybody solved this problem?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 245
ckquilter wrote
on 22 Jun 2015 3:44 AM

hi carolee

i am not familiar with the article.

it may be the type of stabilizer. some don't slide well. you could try adding a different stabilizer to the back of your existing stabilized top - just make sure the new stabilizer is gonna slide.

you can also try polishing the machine bed. i always polish the bed before starting a round of quilting. i prefer plain old pledge. i spray it on a piece of cotton batt (i use my batt scraps) and then polish the machine. don't spray the mechanics of the machine. you don't want to get it in the feed dogs or in the bobbin area.

i don't thread paint directly on a quilt top. the heavy thread build up distorts the top too much. i usually put my base fabric and stabilizer in a hoop.  i often use totally stable.  i have also used timtex - but these don't get put on quilts. they are stand alone pieces.

i do thread sketching directly on the quilt top. but i don't use a fusible stabilizer for those. because the surface is not totally covered with thread, the fusibles give a puckered look to the top - i don't like it.   i do put a stabilizer underneath - just not a fusible one. i much prefer the look of the nonfused stabilizer under the quilt top. it does not make strange, bunched up lumps under the thread sketching.

also when thread painting - it can be the build up of thread will prevent you from moving the top easily. my machine lets me adjust the pressure on the presser foot. so i reduce it, to let the thread slide under the darning foot more easily.  i also usually use a lightweight embroidery bobbin thread - so there is less thread build up on the back.   the only time i use regular thread in the bobbin is when the thread painted shape is gonna be attached to the quilt in such a way that both sides show. just tacked in place, rather than stitched down completely. (i thread painted some koi - and used good thread on both sides for the tail. then stitched the body down, but left the tail dimensional, extending above the surface of the quilt. and attached metallic thread and beads to create water dripping off the tail).

another option - turn the quilt over, and stitch with the wrong side on top. then your fabric is against the bed of the machine, and will usually slide fine. then you will need to put your good thread in the bobbin, and the lightweight bobbin thread goes thru the needle.          if you have drawn your shape onto the stabilizer, you can see it just fine from the back. just remember your heavier thread is now in the bobbin  - and you don't need quite as thick a coverage of the thin thread as if you were stitching from the top.  so i keep the piece moving pretty well - and stop once in awhile and turn it over to check my thread coverage on the right side.                  ckquilter

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS