Im painting my wedding dress...

This post has 1 Reply | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Nikkimorse wrote
on 18 Jun 2015 11:33 PM

Hi all --

I want a pink and Orange wedding dress. After lots of exploration I decided to buy a dress and paint it. The dress is organza on top of satin. I'd narrowed down to angelus mixed with 2-thin and gac900, applied with a preval sprayer. I went with leather paint so I didn't need to wash it, and because it didn't bleed through the organza as unevenly. The hand is fine. But I've realized the Pink options aren't right. 

Question - do I try mixing? Or try dye-na-flow, which I haven't tried and seems to have a great color. If I do, do I have to heat set it? I can't wash the dress. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 248
ckquilter wrote
on 22 Jun 2015 3:17 AM

hi nikki

you might want to paint a separate piece to try your colors on. or try using a spot on the inside where it won't show.

i like dy na flo a lot. i usually use it for sun printing. it changes the hand of the fabric very little. very very little. more like dye than paint.

i have also used it to make my own variegated thread. used it to paint white cotton thread. i did heat set this.  nice thing about it - the thread still runs through a sewing machine needle just fine - including satin stitching.

when i sunprint - i don't bother heat setting anymore. just let the paint cure for a week or so, then run it through a regular washer/dryer cycle with a bit of detergent.   very little color loss. and, again, does not really change the hand of the fabric. i usually sun print on cotton - but not always. i have also used it on poly, silk, and rayon and some blends.    i have used it to sun print on sheers - various fibers.  

so, without having a piece to practice on - but from a decade of sun printing, on lots of different fibers, i would not worry about heat setting it. the colors are all easily mixed to get just what you want. 

remember - dy na flo is transparent. so the base color will affect your final color. you can't just paint over it and get the color of your final paint. it will be a blend of the color of your fabric that you start with - and the color of your new paint that you put over the top.

hope that helps.

one other idea - there are sun reactive threads available. in room light they are mostly white looking. but take them into the sun and they change colors. it is a beautiful effect when stitched onto a white shirt or dress -while inside it looks white, and you hardly notice the stitching. but go out into the sun, and the thread turns into bright colors. a really cool effect.                     but i don't know how many times you can wash the threads before they lost the sun reactive effect.                ckquilter

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS