This is a work in progress and is a challenge quilt from an art quilt group I belong to. It is called "doors". I used an old abandoned church from Canada as my inspiration.
I handpainted the door with SoSoft fabric paints, Caran d'Ache crayons, colored pencils and watercolor pencils then pieced the sections together. For the stained glass section over the door I stippled over thin vinyl and used theatrical gels for the colored glass. I appliqued tiny ribbon for the leading. For the brick I used a batik and painted it with SoSoft paints. For the grout I combined a gray and white thread together through one needle and quilted tiny circles.
The hinges are batik covered timtex and painted. I also used batik covered timtex to make tiny "buttons" to simulate the rivets.
The vines are various yarns hit with a heat gun to melt them a bit simulating rough bark.
Now I'm on to the leaves. I've created a few samples by free motion straight stitching over Kunin felt to give me a leaf shape and hitting them with a heat gun to shrivel them up and look like old, bug-eaten leaves. I like the effect. I will make more in various shades of greens and yellows, some bigger, some smaller.