This is my reader challenge postcard. I have been experimenting with 3D critters for a batik quilt I am working on this summer. Since I started the quilt this summer...it's my staycation project.
This is a rendition of a sea turtle my daughter Jerica and I saw while snorkeling in about 10' of water off Ft. Picken in Pensacola FL. Jerica was so excited when she saw the turtle... then, we saw another one! I wanted to capture the moment since I couldn't capture the turtle on film. So, I made 2 trial turtles out of fabric and pellon 72. The card is also pellon 72 for stiffness (after all it is a postcard).
The turtle is 3 layers quilted and satin stitched on the edges. It was tricky since it's pieces are so small. I wanted some highlight so I used copper metallic thread and some rhinestones for barnacles. Call it, artistic licence. I painted the fish and added sparkles for depth but decided not to quilt the background to keep attention on the turtle. It really depicts the scene. I was surprised at how well this turned out. Jerica wanted one for herself so I am finishing the second turtle for her. Her turtle is lighter green and has a mauve batik spotted shell with pearle thread accents.
I am really excited to finish my art quilt after this finished so nicely. I'm thankful for the small project challenge. It was just what I needed to put it all together!