5 thoughts on “#8 Hot glue stamp with fabric paint on dyed muslin

  1. I love these. They look like etchings on a painted wall … so much texture. You must have a very nice organic pattern on your stamp. Cool.

  2. okay, what I did was use a hot glue gun and did some designs on plexi as per the book instead of using craft foam. I had a bunch of plexiglas sheets that I never used from I can’t remember what.  I drew different designs that Interested me.  I discovered that for this applications fat, thick lines and globs worked better than skinny and thin.  I didn’t worry about strings. I let it cool completely.  I did not have any dye handy so I used fabric paint and Lumiere that I had left over from silk screening with muslin. I had recently dyed a bunch of muslin with Adirondack color wash.  I used that since it was handy and didn’t have to root around for stuff.  I used a cheap foam brush and slathered the fabric paint on.  I didn’t worry if it got on the plexiglas. I put a large sheet of plexiglas with a sheet of red rosin paper for drips.  With the stamp face up, I laid the fabric on top of it. Instead of using a brayer (like the books says), I used my hands and gently pressed the fabric into the stamp and formed the fabric around the texture of the stamp. Yes, my hands got paint all over them once the paint absorbed through the fabric.  I then lifted straight off and left it somewhere to dry. The trick is to have a lot of paint on the stamp for the fabric to pick up. If I only had a thin layer on the stamp, then the fabric absorbed it all in and did not get a good print. 

    Thanks for the kind comments


  3. Belinda, I just tried my first hot glue stamp on plexi, and I love it!  I tried 4 different ways of stamping: apply with foam brush, lay the fabric on top and hand-press; apply paint with foam brush, apply the design by stamping onto the fabric; apply the paint with a roller, lay the fabric on top and hand-press; apply the paint with a roller, apply the design by stamping onto the fabric.  I liked roller-applied paint, laying the fabric on top and hand-pressing better.  It picked up some of the paint from the plexi, but it was a more interesting design.  I definitely plan to do more of these!