by Susan Brubaker Knapp, 2009
Cotton fabric, acrylic fabric paint, cotton batting, cotton thread. Machine quilted. 39"x39"

This is the first piece I've done as a wholecloth painted quilt. It is based on a photo I took of a Painted Lady Butterfly (although the colors I used are completely different than this species!). I was working at taking a realistic image and abstracting it, concentrating on color and pattern and movement.

This piece is going to be displayed in the Aurifil threads booth at Quilt Market, May 15-17, 2009.

Other topics you may enjoy:



9 thoughts on “Lepidoptera

  1. Susan, I love this.  Bright, cheery, full of movement.  Please ignore the stars, my cursor wandered over them and one highlighted but I could not get any others to.  I give it 4 stars!!  I photograph nearly every butterfly, moth and dragonfly I come in contact with.  I pick up dead ones or injured ones and photograph them. They are beautiful creatures.  I am planning a series of 6″ quilts portraying portions of  wing patterns and flight patterns.  Again, I love this piece.  good luck at the Quilt Market……Jim D

  2. Thanks, Jim,

    Nice to meet you. Maybe we should do an exhibition together! I’ve done several butterflies, and am working on another one right now. We rescued a luna moth (brought in by the cats) a few weeks ago. I didn’t think it was warm enough for them to be hatching yet.

  3. Im still trying to figure where and how to respond to comments here but I live in Southern Oklahoma half way between Ok City and Dallas, 100 miles from either, 30,000 people around here outside of Ardmore, about 200 miles from tulsa, We have a good quilt guild but all are traditional quilters and most machine quilt and I suspect think Im a odd duck . I know my use of color confounds them , or assails them one ,thats why this is a great forum to step outside the box

  4. Thanks, Whidbey! I’m not sure I understand the stars, either!  🙂

    It is about 40″ square. This is the first piece I’ve done as a wholecloth painted quilt. I started with white Kona cotton and painted on all the color, then quilted it with varigated thread. It was really fun, and I’m hoping to do more like it in the future.