Please note our new email address for sending submissions. We look forward to hearing from you!
So, you want to write for us? We’d love to hear from you!
Below you will find submission guidelines for:
- Modern Patchwork
- Quilting Arts
- International Quilt Festival: Quilt Scene
- QuiltCon Magazine
If you’re not sure which magazine to submit to, don’t worry. We consider all submissions for the best possible placement.
Call for Submissions: Projects + Articles
Modern Patchwork celebrates the modern quilt movement in all its glory. Now six issues a year and available by subscription!
Modern Patchwork is a special issue packed with projects for today’s quilters and sewists featuring patchwork projects galore. The contemporary and fresh aesthetic of these projects pay tribute to the modern revival of patchwork, integrating traditional and innovative techniques to create items that are tasteful and distinctive.
We’re seeking fresh and stylish items with a modern-day appeal that are made in the latest fabrics. If you have a contemporary patchwork project of your own, original design that you’d like to have published, we’d love to see it!
What are we looking for?
We are looking for original and unpublished projects to suit every room of the house. Below is our “wish list” for the upcoming issues. You are not limited to the following, but we encourage you to submit projects that fall within these guidelines:
- Modern quilts of all shapes and sizes: bed quilts, wall quilts, lap quilts, throws, baby quilts, and mini quilts
- Kitchen & dining: pot holders, place mats, mug rugs, napkins and napkin rings, and table runners
- Living room décor: pillows, lampshades, fabric clocks, and wall art
- Bags and tech accessories of all sorts: totes, messenger bags, clutches, laptop pillows, and covers for computers, tablets, and iPads
We accept queries for feature articles on timely topics related to sewing, modern quilting design, and textiles.
We’re particularly interested in articles featuring:
- Bias tape appliqué: Who’s doing it, what are they doing, what does it look like?
- Modern or asymmetrical design: What’s the latest, what are you + your friends making?
- Creative machine quilting: The latest innovations in design or technique
- Scaling blocks: Big, small, combinations—what are some innovative approaches?
- Hand stitching: Lots of big stitch is sneaking in between rows of matchstick machine quilting—what are you doing?
- Statement or social commentary quilts: Who’s doing what that can’t be ignored?
To submit a feature proposal, send a detailed outline of your idea and any related images, websites, or resources illustrating the topic as well as a few writing samples. The query should give us an overview of what you’re proposing with enough details and supporting information for us to carefully consider your idea. Feature articles are 1,000 to 1,500 words.
How to submit
Project or article proposals should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Modern Patchwork’ in the subject line. We are now accepting submissions throughout the year—no more specific deadline dates—so send along your project today!
Please include in your email:
- A brief description of the project (or article) you propose
- Your name, address, website, and phone number
- A list of your credentials (such as teaching or previous writing experience)
- Photographs of the project—up to three low-resolution jpegs per project—or ideas for illustrating your article.
Please note: If you are submitting more than one project, please send a separate email for each one. Attach UP TO three low-res jpegs per project.
If we are interested in your query, we may ask for more photos or higher resolution jpegs to be sent, but we do all our magazine photography in-house.
We will let you know within 12 weeks following receipt of your submission via email whether we have accepted your project or query. No phone calls or emails, please.
If accepted, your work must be available to be shipped to our offices.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Quilting Arts Magazine
At Quilting Arts, we celebrate contemporary art quilting, surface design, mixed media, fiber art trends, and more. We are always looking for new techniques, innovative processes, and unique approaches to the art of quilting. We’d love to hear from you!
What are we looking for?
- Beautiful and inspiring contemporary quilts and exhibits.
- Artists with inspiring portfolios of work to be featured in our In The Spotlight, Artist Profile, and Q&A articles. Show us your work and tell us your story.
- the last word. column: Do you want to have “the last word”? Submit your completed essay (up to 800 words) along with a low-resolution photograph to email@example.com with “the last word” in the subject line.
- Unique techniques, new ways to use existing tools and supplies, and ideas we’ve never featured before.
If you are teaching, blogging about, or exhibiting your art quilts, you probably have great ideas to share!
How to submit
1. Write a brief description of your idea and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your submission should give us an overview of what you propose to write with enough detail and supporting information for us to carefully consider your idea.
2. Attach up to three low-resolution photos of your art or process to your email, and don’t forget to include your full name, website, and contact information.
Note: We work far ahead in the year and sometimes can’t fit a piece into the magazine right away. Our editorial review process can take up to 12 weeks, but in many cases, we will respond to you much sooner. No phone calls or follow-up emails, please.
In addition …
- Most of our artist profiles, media, and product reviews, and reader challenges are written by our staff.
- We do all our photography in-house. If accepted, your work must be available to be shipped to our offices.
We look forward to hearing from you!
QuiltCon Magazine 2017
Thank you for your interest. Submissions for this issue are now closed.
QuiltCon Magazine is a special publication brought to you by the editors of Modern Patchwork in close association with the Modern Quilt Guild. The magazine celebrates the modern quilt aesthetic and features articles about QuiltCon East, behind-the-scenes interviews, tips for modern design, and other distinctive content.
QuiltCon Magazine also includes quilt patterns from MQG members and leading modern designers, galleries of beautiful quilts from the show, interviews, tutorials, and more.
International Quilt Festival: Quilt Scene
Thank you for your interest, submissions are now closed for the 2016/2017 issue.
Quilt Scene is our annual issue of fresh ideas for today’s quilter including patterns and projects, galleries of beautiful quilts from International Quilt Festival, Houston, interviews, tips, and more.
Please note: The focus of this magazine is not art quilting, rather, it celebrates the traditional—but with a lively, contemporary spin. We are looking for articles and projects geared toward both the traditional and intermediate/advanced quilter.
We encourage all submissions, however, we are specifically looking for:
- Quilted projects and patterns—Anything from a hip home décor item, quilted pillow, or tote to patterns for a bed-size quilt, baby quilt, or table topper.
- Quilting techniques and tips—We are particularly interested in quilt design, tips for machine quilting, easy ways of binding and finishing, sewing and machine tips for a new quilter, threads for specific uses, etc.