Crazy-pieced blocks are a blast—they’re totally easy, and a fun way to use up scraps! Below you’ll find both video and image+text tutorials for this technique with clear, step-by-step instructions. PLUS—if you’ve found this lesson useful, you can download a copy of this AND many more Sew Easy lessons in our FREE eBooklet Sew Easy Lessons: The Essential Collection of Quilting Techniques. Click here to download your copy of this lesson plus many other tried-and-true patchwork tutorials!
Step-by-Step Sew Easy Instructions
- Start by cutting out a central patch. Here, we’re cutting a triangle, but any shape could work.
- Lay central patch right-side up on foundation. Lay second patch right-side down, aligning it with edge of central patch. Sew through all layers, using a ¼” seam allowance.
- Open out second patch, and press. Add next patch along edge, then sew and press open.
- Continue adding strips clockwise until foundation is covered, alternating sizes and shapes as desired.
- To square up, turn unit foundation-side up. Trim excess fabric even with edges of foundation, or use fussy-cut windows to determine finished unit.
- Keep it crazy! The end unit doesn’t have to be square. If using paper foundation, tear out paper. If using leave-in foundation, you’re ready to go!
Products used: Martelli’s Color-Contrasting Cutting Mat, Martelli’s Triangle Fussy-Cut Windows, Martelli’s No-Slip Triangle Templates, Martelli’s Square Fussy-Cut Windows, Martelli’s No-Slip Square Templates, Martelli’s 45mm Ergonomic Rotary Cutter, and Martelli’s Wool Pressing Pad. For a complete catalog of Martelli notions, as well as useful how-to videos, visit their website.
Other products include Aurifil 40wt. cotton thread (fuchsia), iron, muslin for foundation.
Machine featured is the performance icon™ by PFAFF®. To find a retailer near you, visit PFAFF.com.
Fabrics from Garden Glory collection by Maja Ronnback and Abstract Collage collection by Ampersand, both for Paintbrush Studio Fabrics.
If you’d like to download the individual PDF of Sew Easy: Crazy Piecing, click here!
Want to learn more? Visit our Sew Easy index to find many more great Sew Easy videos from the Quilting Company team.
For more quilting know-how, check out these products!